Thursday, June 7, 2012

Turn Baby Turn!!

I went for my 35 week appointment this week where my doctor "checked me" for the first time. We got 2 surprises. (1) I am at 2 cm, which would typically be exciting news. (2) Baby Crager is breech! AAHHH!

I actually shouldn't act surprised. I have been very suspicious about the baby's position and movements for weeks and weeks. Something just felt different about this baby compared to Collin and Brantlee. I knew those "kicks" down below could NOT be from arms. Sure enough, the ultrasound confirmed that there are 2 little heels digging into my cervix :/ And that really large round mass under my rib cage is a head :)

So, my doctor gave us 3 options. (1) Wait and pray that baby turns. He gave it a 25% chance that it would. It could happen. (2) Consider a procedure called External Version where they manually turn the baby from the outside. I've done my research, and I'm just not sold on it. (3) Go ahead and pencil in a c-section just to be on the safe side.We are going with choices 1 & 3. Unless TyAnsley learns north from south and decides to cooperate, the scheduled date for a c-section is June 28th.

I held it together and put on my big girl pants at the doctor's appointment. But I am not gonna lie. I fell apart when Kyle got home from work. I know there are FAR worse things. No pity party here!! But I just wasn't mentally prepared for this, and the thought of surgery totally freaks me out! My deliveries with C & B were simple, fast, and very uncomplicated with almost no recovery time. Oh well :) :)

And not to lose hope. If you google "Ways to turn a breech baby" you will be quite amazed, and perhaps a little freaked out, ha! I am sure some of these things have worked for people. And I am not above trying ANYTHING. But seriously, some of this stuff is just plain funny. So let's see... I could:


  • Lay on an ironing board that is propped up on one end with my head on the low end so that my cervix is above my heart. IF I wouldn't break the ironing board, I suppose I could do this when the kids go to bed.
  • Place something cold on the top of my uterus and something warm at the bottom (because babies don't like cold and gravitate toward warmth.) Already tried this one. Don't judge. 
  • Play music loudly at my pelvic area. I'm serious. 
  • Have my husband talk loudly at my pelvic area while I am attempting any of the above techniques. Not kidding. You can read it for yourself.
  • Do handstands in a swimming pool. Kyle actually thinks I should do this. But I'm pretty sure it is so he  can see me 9 months pregnant trying to do a handstand. I mean, have you ever?!?! 
  • Do a front flip off the diving board. Okay, I'm totally kidding about this one. This was Kyle's suggestion tho ;) ;) 
All joking aside, I know everything will all work out in the end. I really, really, really wanted this baby to come on its own. I would LOVE for this baby to turn and to be able to deliver it the good ole fashioned way. And if not, I would LOVE to make it to my scheduled date, so that I know for sure who is doing the c-section. BUT I do know our Lord knows best and I have to trust Him in this. We DO trust Him in this. And we most certainly covet your prayers during this exciting time :) 

Looks like the countdown is on!

2 comments:

Kimberly Roberts Moore said...

hahaha! i'm picturing the handstand in the swimming pool. hilarious!

heatherstockett said...

If you try of those things, besides the one you've already tried, please have Kyle video it. :)

While I was in labor with Jackson, he turned. And the doctor had to turn him. Let's just say if I was given your choices, I would be opting for either 1 or 3 as well.