Sunday, April 4, 2010

Crescent City Classic 2010

We did it...Our first 10K ever! We had a great time are so glad we did it. Kyle stayed with me the whole time. If he hadn't, I probably would have stopped and walked. But we didn't stop, and we broke an hour. We made our goal.

We spent the night with Kyle's cousin Rick and his family Friday night. Saturday morning we met up with our friends the Kingreas who are from the New Orleans area. They are avid runners, and they are our inspiration for sure!! They have a beautiful 8 month old baby, Charlie, whom we finally got to meet. Payton and Jan Perrett did the race too. They brought their 6 month old twin boys. Both of these mommies pushed their babies in this 6.2 mile race, which is mind-boggling to me! I had enough trouble getting myself across the finish line! ha! Here are some post-race pics.


Kyle and Payton

Preston, Pace & Jan

We had such a great time. It is an experience we will never forget. Well over 20,000 people participated in the race itself, not to mention the spectators. It was unbelievable!!

Now on to the most memorable part. As Kyle and I were leaving the race festivities about an hour after the race ended, I started feeling very sick and nauseous and I had to just sit or lie down. I turned extremely pale, and I told Kyle I needed to get something to eat or drink... something besides water. I drank some Gatorade and I thought I was okay. So I tried to walk again, and that's when everything got really blurry. The next thing I know, there are about 5 paramedics surrounding me hooking me up to some heart thingy, taking my blood pressure, pricking my finger, and asking me a million questions. I have NEVER fainted or done anything like this in my life!! It was scary, hilarious, and humiliating all at one time. But I knew that I was going to be fine. We hadn't eaten anything since before the race, and I guess my body was telling me "Hello??? I need some sugar or food, please!!" But nobody else had eaten anything either, so why did I do this??? Once we did eat, I felt 100% better... like nothing happened. If nothing else, at least we got a ride back to our car from the paramedic. Whew! I will certainly remember that even if you don't feel hungry, eat something anyway! Nothing like making a dramatic exit ;)

It is always nice to get away for a night, but we were ready to get home to our babies. We made a brave attempt to dye some eggs. Yes, we are crazy.

No comments: