I had always heard that you are never the same once you see your own child for the first time. But I had no idea what that really meant, nor was I prepared for the overwhelming feelings of love... and fear that filled me. Love - because from that moment on I couldn't imagine a stronger love than what I felt for my child. And fear - because the love I felt for my child was so strong it scared me. And suddenly, things I thought were so important seemed so insignificant. Likewise, things I never knew existed all of the sudden consumed my mind!
After an induction, a really good epidural,and 4 hours of labor, Collin was born! Weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and measuring 20 inches, he was as healthy as any baby could be. He nursed like a champ and slept like an angel... in the hospital anyway.
Once we got home and settled in, life with a baby began. Our beautiful baby boy that stole our hearts, and continues to do so to this day, took us on the ride of our lives!! At about week 3, the colic began. He cried, wait a minute, he SCREAMED for a solid 2 hours. I honestly thought he might die from such crying. (My mom, however, assurred me that he wouldn't and that I too was known to do this as an infant. That advise still didn't help our situation or our feelings very much.) This one night marked the beginning of a very long journey of no sleep, lots of spit up, lots of crying and lots of expensive acid reflux medicine and not to mention, formula. NOTE: Now I know that we were first-time parents, but I am convinced that this baby would have rattled the most seasoned parents!
Aside from all the negative, Collin has brought us so much joy and laughter. And although I wish I had been more relaxed and a lot less stressed during his first year, I realize how much Kyle and I learned from him. Collin has taught us some valuable life lessons that I think apply to any new parent. (1)There are some things that just work themselves out over time (2) ALWAYS trust your maternal instinct (3) What works for your child just might not work for another one (4)Throw your "How to Raise Your Baby" books in the trash. Your child will not be warped for life if you rock him until his feet drag the floor. Nor will he be unable to function or walk if you hold him as much as he wants you to. Life is too short and babies grow up entirely too fast. Case in point - see the following photos
6 weeks old
2 months and "talking" up a storm
Toes in the sand - Destin October 2007
Happy Halloween- 3 mos
Our lil pumpkin
We couldn't believe he sat with Santa :)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)
.jpg)


1 comment:
Totally teared up at the tiny Collin baby pics!
Post a Comment